While using MS Outlook for email communication, you should be ready to deal with error messages that may anytime become a hurdle for you. One of such error messages that appear on your computer screen when you launch MS Outlook is:
“Outlook.pst cannot be accessed - 0x80040116”
Why aforementioned error message occurs?
The specified error message occurs when the index of the Outlook.pst (the file where Outlook saves emails, contacts, etc.) gets corrupt. Because the index of the PST file is damaged, MS Outlook cannot establish a connection with it and therefore, displays the aforementioned error message. To get rclass of this error message, Outlook user needs to fix PST file.
How the specified error message can be resolved?
Microsoft provclasses a tool called Inbox Repair Tool to repair the damaged index of the Outlook.pst file. The Inbox Repair tool is also called scanpst.exe and is very easy to use. By repairing the corrupt index of the PST file, the scanpst.exe saves the Outlook user from bearing data loss. A good thing about the Inbox Repair tool is it is a freeware; therefore, you do not need to spend even a single penny to fix PST file. Mentioned below are the steps that help you locate and use the Inbox Repair tool:
- Close MS Outlook
- Start MS Windows Search companion by clicking Start » Search. The Search Results window appears:
- Select the All files and folders option in the left pane of the Search Results Window. The appearance of the window gets changed:
- Type scanpst.exe in the All or part of the file name field and click the Search button. Within few seconds you will see scanpst.exe listed in the right pane of the Search Results window:
- Select SCANPST.EXE in the right pane and open it. The Microsoft Inbox Repair tool will be launched:
- Click the Browse button to specify the path of the PST file whose index has been damaged and click the Start button. As you click the Start button, the tool starts scanning the selected PST:
- After the scanning is complete, you are prompted to fix PST file. Click the Repair button to repair the corrupt PST file.
- After the repairing process will be completed, click the OK button to exit the tool.
Now, launch MS Outlook and access emails, notes, contacts, etc. without any problem, as the Outlook.pst has been repaired. In case, you still get the same error message then it means the PST is not fixed efficiently. Here, you can try fix PST file tool because when Inbox repair tool gets failed to repair PST file, the fix PST tool will be the only solution on which you can trust to impeccably repair the PST file.