Add-ins are small helping programs to add new functional capabilities and automate some routine operations in any big existing application. Same goes with MS Outlook add-ins. These add-ins can be of real help but any version discrepancy or minor error can lead to bigger problems like unexpected Outlook behavior or sudden crash of Outlook profile.
When Add-ins create problem for Outlook use, you need to fix Outlook by getting rclass of such add-ins. For example, after installing an Add-in, you are prompted to restart MS Outlook and when you restart it, you get the following error message:
“Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode?”
Reason behind the aforementioned error message
The aforementioned error message has appeared because of the installation of Add-in to use with MS Outlook. May be the Add-in that you have installed is incompatible with the MS Outlook version you are currently using and this has led to this specified error message
Solution for the aforementioned error message
In order to resolve this existing issue, you need to uninstall the Add-in but how to uninstall that Add-in is a tough call? Outlook has failed to start; which means you can’t access it directly. Therefore, you cannot uninstall Add-in easily. However, there is an available option i.e. run Outlook in safe mode to uninstall the Add-in and to fix Outlook. To start Outlook in Safe Mode, click the Yes button in the dialog box displaying the error message. Once MS Outlook starts in safe mode either uninstall or deactivate the recently installed Add-in. Now restart MS Outlook and check for recovery. Thus, you can fix Outlook issues related to add-ins and resolve the specified error.
The process to uninstall or deactivate Add-ins varies according to the version of MS Outlook installed on your computer. Following steps help you to manage Add-ins in MS Outlook 2010:
- Start MS Outlook 2010.
- Select File > Options. The “Outlook Options” dialog box appears.
- Select Add-ins in the left pane.
- Select COM Add-ins in the Manage drop-down list and click the Go button. The COM Add-ins dialog box appears.
- Clear the check box besclasse the Add-in that you have recently installed to deactivate it or click the Remove button and follow the on screen instructions to uninstall the Add-in.
- Once the Add-in is deactivated or uninstalled, restart MS Outlook.
This way you can fix Outlook issue occurring due to Add-in installation. Let us see the process to manage Add-ins in Outlook 2007:
- Launch Outlook 2007.
- Select Tools > Trust Center. The “Trust Center” dialog box appears.
- Select Add-ins in the left pane.
- Select the COM Add-ins option in the Manage drop-down list.
- Click the Go button and clear the check box besclasse the recently installed Add-in to deactivate it.
- If you want to uninstall the Add-in then instead of clearing the check box besclasse the Add-in, click the Remove button.
- After the Add-in has been uninstalled or deactivated, restart MS Outlook.
Now, to fix Outlook issue in 2003, consclasser the following steps:
- Select Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to launch Outlook 2003.
- Select Options in the Tools menu. The “Options” dialog box appears.
- Select the Other tab and click the Add-In Manager.
- Clear the check box besclasse the Add-in and click the OK button.
- Restart MS Outlook 2003.
In this way, you can remove the Add-in causing problem in the startup of Outlook 2013, 2010, 2007, or 2003.