While using MS Outlook as the prime email client, you may need to deal with various unknown error messages. One of such unknown error messages is given below:
“The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, start Outlook again.”
The aforementioned error message occurs when you try to read new mail, delete a mail, add/delete contact, or create/delete a calendar item. The most common cause behind the generation of the specified error message is some internal problem in the messaging interface of MS Outlook. However, in some cases, the error message also occurs when the PST file gets damaged due to exceeding maximum size limit.
The very first step that should be taken to resolve the error message is, restart MS Outlook. If the problem was due to internal issue in the messaging interface then it will be resolved automatically. However, if the problem is not resolved by restarting MS Outlook then you have to fix corrupt PST.
Microsoft provclasses a tool called Inbox repair tool to help you fix corrupt PST but in this case that tool will not be a help for you because the size of PST is more than 2 GB. Therefore, you have to use the fix corrupt PST tool to repair the damaged PST and resolve the error message. This tool scans the corrupt PST, extracts data from it, and creates a new PST at the destined location on your computer.
Once the new PST is created on your computer, you can open it with MS Outlook. Now, when you have accessed the data, it is suggested to reduce the size of PST file to a consclasserable extent by moving some of the emails to other PST file. Following steps help you to create a new PST in MS Outlook 2007 and to move data from old PST to new PST in MS Outlook:
- Start MS Outlook.
- Select File > New > Outlook Data File. The “New Outlook Data File” dialog box appears.
- Select an option in the dialog box as per your requirement and click the OK button. The “Create or Open Outlook Data File” dialog box appears.
- Type a name for the PST and click the OK button. The “Create Microsoft Personal Folders” dialog box appears.
- Type a name for the personal folder that you want to display in MS Outlook.
- Apply password on PST if you want.
- Click the OK button. The personal folder will be listed in the left pane of MS Outlook in the tree having old Personal folder.
- Select items in the old personal folder.
- Click Edit » Move to Folder and then select the newly created personal folder to move the selected items in it and click the OK button.
After the items are moved to new personal folder, size of the old personal folder will be reduced accordingly. This is how you can resolve the Messaging Interface error message in MS Outlook and fix corrupt PST.